Helicopter Rescue? 23rd September 2013

23rd

I woke early again in case we had to pack quickly, my hot rock was still a little warm and I reluctantly pulled my feet away from the comfort. The weather? More of same: strong winds, descending snow line, and dropping temperatures.

The snowline descending down the mountains seen during a sunny spell.

The snowline descending down the mountains seen during a sunny spell.

Today I finished book in one go – the first time ever. I just got stuck in and sat reading by the fire for most of the day, glancing occasionally at the deceptive water. There were some patches of pleasant sun to further deceive us into thinking that we had a chance to cross over the lake but the kitchen canvas reminded us of the truth of the matter: it was blowing like a hang glider wanting to take to the wing.

Brandon starts on another paddle – this time for Bob. Brandon makes it seem so easy to create these First Nation designs. There was an artist of a different kind at work by the shore: Bill caught a trout that we cooked and ate with delight. We had fire, food, and shelter – we could have survived for ever here. No worries. I was looking forward to getting stuck into living off the land/water.

Brandon painting a paddle and making it look easy

Brandon painting a paddle and making it look easy

We had to let people know that we were stuck so Chris tried to fire up the Sat phone – he realised, however, with disgust that the batteries didn’t hold a charge and the phone was down to one bar. The phone just managed to get a short call to Barbara to let her know that we were a few days overdue and that if she hadn’t heard from us in a couple of days she should call for a helicopter evacuation.

With a comfortable resignation I inspected the rocks around the fire to choose my night-time companion; or should I take two of them tonight?

This entry was posted in Canada. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply